You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Friday, April 16, 2010

Officially Certified: Raccoon Lodge

There remain a number of Portland pubs and breweries who serve honest pints but whom I haven't officially certified. One of two of the most egregious oversights on this score is the Raccoon Lodge, which was the first place ever to change their glassware to come into compliance. Well, thanks to that pint of Kriek, now it's official:


Raccoon Lodge Brewpub
Certified Purveyor of an Honest Pint
7424 SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway
Portland, OR 97225
503.296.0110



That picture doesn't do it justice, but the elixir in the glass is indeed the Kriek--but don't bother trying to get a pint of it. That was a server misfire, and one of the luckier moments of my pub-going career. You can get a goblet of the Kriek, though, or a pint of any of Ron Gansberg's other beer. The west side isn't exactly festooned with joints serving honest pints, nor pints of great beer, so this should definitely be a go-to watering hole for those out past the hills.
________________
Share

6 comments:

  1. This happened to me, two years ago, when Pliny the Younger came to the horse brass. I went in with a friend at the beginning of the bartender's shift, and ordered two youngers. To our surprise, we were served two full pints. My friend didn't like hers, so I drank most of a second one as well. Shortly after we were served the pints, the guy was made aware of his mistake, and everyone else started getting glasses. It was a real bonus. The only thing that would have been better is if the beer lived up to the hype!

    I'd take a pint of Cascade sour beer over a pint of younger any day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A prost to Ron Gansberg and his crew for continuing to raise the bar and brewing unique and compelling ales.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeremy in SE PDX9:54 AM, April 19, 2010

    Props for using "whom" correctly in the first sentence!

    --JT

    ReplyDelete
  4. tastiest, most honest IMPERIAL pints I can think of anywhere

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing how underrated they are as a pub in Beaverton, but how highly regarded they are across the nation and to beer drinkers all over the NW. I love when I go in there, and they are somewhat empty... and I can drink a rouge... and marvel over the barrels.

    I too am a huge fan of the Razberry wheat.... the amount of fruit used.... and balance... is just nectar. I could wake up on a nice summers day off... and drink it like tea.

    With the vine being bottled in a week, and conditioned for a month... I hope to buy lots, and still find Apricot too... I hope. Must have all of them. My favorites around for sure.

    ReplyDelete